Preliminary Practices37 Stages of Instructions Curriculum
The preliminary practices (ngöndro) serve to strengthen one’s resolve to pursue the spiritual path and are the foundation for advanced spiritual practice. These two seminars present detailed instructions on the preliminary practices that employ visualization, the recitation of prayers and mantras, and physical movement to undo deeply ingrained habits that prevent one from recognizing the nature of mind.
Seminar 2: Outer Preliminaries—The Chariot of Liberation
5. Meditation on the Precious Human Life—Key Instructions of Patrul Rinpoche
6. Meditation on the Impermanence of Life—Key Instructions of Patrul Rinpoche
7. Meditation on the Outer and Inner Dependent Arising (Cause and Effect)—Instructions of Patrul Rinpoche
8. Meditation on Renunciation—Oral Instructions of Patrul Rinpoche, Khenchen Padma Tsewang, and Khenchen Chöying Chapdal
Seminar 3: Inner Preliminaries—The Chariot of Liberation
9. Meditation on Refuge—Foundation of the Buddhist Path
10. Cultivating Bodhicitta—Root of the Mahayana (Great Vehicle)
11. Meditation on Vajrasattva—Meditation That Purifies Negativities
12. Meditation on Mandala—Meditation That Brings the Two Accumulations of Merit and Wisdom
13. Guru Yoga—Method for Generating the Wisdom of Realization in One’s Own Mindstream
Of all empowerments and all aspects of approach and accomplishment.
The child with the good fortune for the practice of mantra
Will attain the level of Vajradhara in a single life.
Khenpo Sherab Sangpo suggests that his students meditate twenty minutes at the beginning of each meditation session on the four thoughts that turn the mind toward the Dharma:
- Meditation on Meaningful Human Birth
- Meditation on Death and Impermanence
- Meditation on the Suffering of Samsara
- Meditation on the Ripening of Virtuous and Negative Deeds
So that I may make full use of this meaningful human birth,
My precious guru, I pray to you:
Please grant your blessings, my supremely kind master.
After meditating on the outer preliminaries for twenty minutes, students meditate on the section of the inner preliminaries of which they are accumulating 100,000 repetitions:
- Meditation on Refuge
- Meditation on Bodhicitta
- Meditation on Vajrasattva
- Meditation on Mandala
- Meditation on Guru Yoga
Until we have reached the very heart of enlightenment,
I and all the infinite number of beings—my mothers and fathers,
Go for refuge to the guru and the Three Jewels.
May we not be parted from you for a moment.
Please accept us with your love.
- Patrul Rinpoché: The Words of My Perfect Teacher
- Khenpo Ngawang Pelzang: A Guide to the Words of My Perfect Teacher
- Dudjom Rinpoché: A Torch Lighting the Way to Freedom: Complete Instructions on the Preliminary Practices
- Thinley Norbu Rinpoché: A Cascading Waterfall of Nectar
- Khenchen Palden Sherab Rinpoché and Khenpo Tsewang Dongyal Rinpoché: Illuminating the Path: Ngondro Instructions According to the Nyingma School of Vajrayana Buddhism
- Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoché: The Excellent Path to Enlightenment: Oral Teachings on the Root Text of Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo
- Khenpo Yeshe Phuntsok: Vajrasattva Meditation: An Illustrated Guide
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Please subscribe to our newsletter for video teachings from Khenpo Sherab Sangpo and updates to our event calendar. Your contact information will not be shared and you may unsubscribe at any time.